BNSF heritage -(was Milwaukee 261at Oregon, IL)

To: "'BRHSlist@egroups.com'" <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: BNSF heritage -(was Milwaukee 261at Oregon, IL)
From: Jeff Worones <JWORONES@S...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:11:33 -0700
It seems that BNSF is trying to focus on it's current image, rather than
it's past. A few months ago they ran a series of commercials during the
financial shows on CNN, CNBC, etc. to drum up investor/customer/government
interest. In the 'new' world of technology and dotcom's, the railroads are
trying to look cutting edge. It would send a confusing message to focus on
the BNSF image and show how modern they are, then paint the fleet in a bunch
of obsolete paint schemes. With so many shippers complaining about poor
service, how would it look to them to have the railroad spending time and
money on preservation rather than improving service. Today's corporations
are run by accountants and if it doesn't (directly) boost the bottom line -
it doesn't happen. I have to look no further than my city limits to see how
true that is!

What about liability issues. Remember the NP Alco involved in a grade
crossing accident. It got repainted BN green, and then the courts had the BN
repaint it NP black and gold to recreate the accident. It went to the
scrappers in NP colors. You just never know what will happen - especially in
today's world.

Recently I was researching Maytag's ownership of the Rock Island logos.
While talking to one of their Trademark and Patent attorney's, he summed it
up perfectly: "...there is no more corporate sentiment..."

I do thank BNSF for their recent efforts at the Fullerton Railroad days, and
don't deny they are actively presenting the BNSF image. It's not that I
wouldn't appreciate seeing a Q 4-6-4 pounding down the ROW, the BNSF
repainting a GP30 in red/gray, or the UP painting a GP38-2 Rock blue/white -
I just don't expect it anytime soon.

Jeff Worones
Las Vegas, NV