Re: [BRHSlist] A Fluting Question

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] A Fluting Question
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 20:13:37 -0500
barbarland@a... wrote:

> I have some questions about the Budd fluting on Burlington cars.
>
> Is the fluting the same on the roof and letterboard as on the bottom of the
> car?

Yes

> Does anyone have the dimensions of both the large and small fluting on
> these cars or can someone direct me to where I could find this information?

Small flutes are 1" on centers (center of one high segment to center of
the next high segment). One earliest Budd Zephyrs, the small fluting
was in panels of five; after 1937 or so, panels of eight. You can see
the panel separations on sharp photos. The side flutes are 3 15/16 on
centers.

Marshall