Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff,Lenny

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Signals and Stuff,Lenny
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:38:19 -0500
KPMF16@a... wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm hoping that some of you dispatchers, operators, or C&E's can help me out.
> On the Peoria Sub in the 50's and early 60's the Q used a manual block system
> on this "dark territory." In the time table it says for the station at Yates
> City, "no train order signal, trains must have clearance form A." My question
> is, did the trains have to stop to pick up there clearance in this situation,
> or could it be hooped up to them along with any 19 orders if any? Yates City
> at this time was also within Yard Limits so I would assume that the train
> would be heading in at restricted speed prepared to stop?
>
> Ken Thompson

Ken:

I think I answered this question when it was asked in regards to Keokuk.

The combination of wording in the Timetable like the above means that
for all intents and purposes the absent train order signal is presumed
to always be at "Stop". If a train that had no other reason to stop
approached the Depot and the Operator was in evidence with something
to deliver they could pass the depot, receive a Clearance Form "A",
with or without any train orders, and proceed.

In the case of a location with a train order signal every train had
to receive Clearance Form "A" with or without orders until all trains
that had orders addressed received their Clearances. Only at that
time could the operator clear the train order signal.

If, because of track work, or a derailment, it was necessary to put
an Operator at a location where there was no train order signal a
train order would be issued in the following format:

"At Pepin, Operator on duty 7:01 a.m. until 4:01 p.m., Eastward
trains must receive Clearance Form "A"".

With radio the job got a little easier for all involved. While
the train order signal indicated "Stop" or they were required by
train order or timetable to receive a Clearance if the operator
had communicated with the train and indicated that he/she was
prepared to deliver it there was no need to even slow down.

While this is a matter of personal preference, I did not mind
"normal speed" even if it was 60. This was better then watching
a mile and a quarter of train go by at 10 or so.

You are correct, of course, the Yard Limits changing the speed
situation, but this was not a part of the Clearance delivery
requirement.

Russ