Oral Histories

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Oral Histories
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:15:56 EDT
Here are the snippets from tonight's conversation w/E.S.Fick on the
dinkie(Elmer has 45 years senility) and originally started in GT and then
moved to where the steady work was(Aurora). While looking at BB 36 Elmer saw
the photos of the economy baggage cars and the stories started flowing.
Here's what I recall: In the summer of 1957 he worked the Gt to Mendota local
and recalls running out of water at Galva and having the fire dept rescue
them! He said the 0-1's rode a little better than an O-5s only because by
then they were on the locals at lower speeds. The O-5's would literally beat
you to death while running at speed on the mainline and it was taking your
life in your hands to get up and cross the cab to look over the train on the
engineers side as all that protected you from eternity was the cab curtains.
The O-5's had no speed cut outs or speed recorders and once in the "corner"
thats where the throttle stayed.
He also told me part of something I've heard before from Russ Repetto the
f-3's originally placed in CZ service were not regeared when placed in
freight and had one hexx of time starting a freight train but once started
Kattie bar the door. He recalled cruising down the mainline between Mendota
and GT at an even 80mph w/75a!
Leo