[CBQ] Re: Peoria Interchange Question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Peoria Interchange Question
From: "Richard Eisfeller" <bigeee@trainvideos.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:49:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299078741; bh=25ocWKW55d0N+OmReMKB4QE4zvvAaGwgoAx5bMuSO+Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Organization:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-AntiAbuse:X-AntiAbuse:X-AntiAbuse:X-AntiAbuse:X-AntiAbuse:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=lMebGSNDB2hh3nQwh7MRcGrFBfEIEOam7fRZwqow2IQNeB1i2bRChzq3kAdnQj4IVJSI3smmrWuO8HfZURZjw6/imUvh7qEx8M4Yw+d/xGB7o01k2AR0cn03/YbN4yap
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
"Thanks for the information, Dick. As a follow-up, what about fruits and
vegatables? Somewhere I read, perhaps in the PFE book, that PFE traffic was
handed off to the CB&Q to reach Peoria."

I dion't have any TP&W info until 1971.  Then the perishables that they handled
mostly (all?) came from the Santa Fe at Fort Madison.  I also saw few or none
meat reefers from the Q on the TP&W in the 1971/1974 time frame.  The PFE
traffic that the Q handled from UP at Grand island mostly went to connections
in Chicago.  From limited data that I have very few reefers from Denver or the
UP at Grand Island went to Kansas City or St. Louis by the late 1960s.  That
might not have been the case in the 1950s.  Some reefers (~15 a day when apples
were moving) from NP and GN via Laurel did go to KC and St. Louis on the Q and
potatoes came down from the GN connection at Sioux City (as many as 50 a day
during the winter in the late 1960s) for places all over the Q.  The potato
traffic dropped rapidly under BN.  This is from consists of connecting trains.
I do not have Q consists showing these movements.  GN and NP each gave a few
reefers to the Burlington at St. Paul to be handled on #80 to Galesburg.  More
went to Chicago on #88 and #82.  Prior to the BN merger, the perishable traffic
off of GN and NP in the Twin Cities was fairly evenly divided between the Q,
CNW, and Milw.  Even the Soo, CRIP/ CGW got a few.  CNW may have gottten the
most as their ex- Minneapolis and St. Louis line got quite a few up to the
merger.  Some of these probably ended up in Peoria.  After the merger most of
this perishable traffic went to Chicago on BN - a major reason for the merger.
This is pieced to gether from GN and NP consists, some of which are posted on
the NP yahoo group and a GN website.
Dick Eisfeller

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com