[CBQ] FW&D #410 (T&P #400)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] FW&D #410 (T&P #400)
From: "mardechris" <mardechris@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:36:36 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245942560; bh=6tovf0hjK6MS8qzWLgZC2zqZMNeLTVzMbYVGMhmCwDM=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=urIRpPOUOjxyBtcaCq4C1HYwyG8ShR4kcShMIZrwTKmuSEOIFW+t46TDvDumaOcgTmnJOEG/zw0f5Lj76LrIMxw6Dh2cVf7/CQg4J8Y9J4NGL0MIHZLaZP2DiszD3EhT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245942543; bh=QohGe27aS1zhdXGa8jnKYLT02sHAS8kITZn5zuVl8Yw=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Date:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=pgWkFQYPGL9L6LxtUv+0h5R7+AhqcXtB10asqyY6uwJ3OCADusSVqNRqPlsUbpDkElJwyC5AspwRhMZplhsrkB0KJuxFKtJlV4mO0Ni8oGclE3+gsHzDrBmWjzlDu9RE
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
i!  My name is Marde and I am addicted to trains.  I learn by listening and
watching others who have much more knowledge about trains than I do. Thanks
many wonderful internet sites and books, books and more books I am able to
learn about the many things pertaining to trains and railroading in general and
very seldom
have to ask questions.

This kind of sounds like an introduction to TA, better known as 'Trains
Anonymous'!

I do have a request for information.  I am hunting any information, pictures
and/or diagrams I can find on FW&D #410. All of my research is given to the T &
P Depot Museum in Marshall, Texas, where FW&D #410 now resides.

Let me tell you a little bit of what I do know.

T&P #400 started out with the FW&D as engine #410.  She was one of ten 2-8-2
Mikados (#401 thru #410) built by Baldwin in 1915 for FW&D.  She had her
picture taken in Wichita Falls in 1932 by Otto Perry.  She was sold to T&P (and
renumbered/painted to T&P #400) in 1957 to be used in the flooded areas of the
Red River.  Trains magazine has a page dedicated to her from August 1957.  FW&D
#410 (T&P #400) was placed in the Marshall city park in 1963 where she lived
until 2008.  Part of her life in the park was spent
enclosed in a building due to asbestos.  In May of 2008 #400 was moved to the
T&P depot where she will be restored to a static display.

I found an article about railway preservation that said #400 was 'heavily
rebuilt and modernized' in 1940.  What exactly would have been done to her at
during the rebuild?  It also made mention of a breakage that was too costly to
repair that attributed to being retired.  Does anyone know what this breakage
could have been?  From what I understand, when the #400 was moved to the city
park, she moved there under her own power.

I have heard that she was wrecked in the 1940s, but I can not find any
documentation or pictures on the wreck.  When facing #410 from the front, you
can see the date "1946" on the frame under the smoke box.  I assume this is
from the wreck.

In "The Colorado Road" there is a diagram of FW&D #401 thru #410.  What are the
chances of the drawings still existing for this particular group of
locomotives?

I would appreciate any information, stories, and hopefully pictures that you
all would like to share.  Did I mention pictures?  I have located a few --the
Otto Perry picture from 1932 is the one I can find of her under FW&D.  Also,
"The Colorado Road" by Hol Wagner, Jr. has a picture of her  The Trains article
has pictures as T&P.  All other pictures I have found are after she was retired
and put in the park.

Thanks again for your help.

Marde

*new member of