[CBQ] Re: Burlington Freight Division Article

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Freight Division Article
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 02:25:03 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1244427924; bh=EFiqi29YGTd4Rcsd6vIPTh765lIAoWQVd3teJkuJ+l4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pz6UrsLCJMqJdQCJIDqnTLDCN3oms7Nq6Sv8p24PaCZdq2FEwCmALQVDGWm5SRvCI6UsPuu50TlH9CvgfE9KyGObt3usleJTMULAxj0ZAn8XdBB1Vo8m6ilxWfFAAVMW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Lots of confusion here. This disclaimer means nothing. Only the copyright owner
has the right to grant permission unless it is in the public domain. I doubt
that this article is.

It is the dissemination of the material to anyone else that is the copyright
violation. Technically, the violation occurred when the article was posted to
the group.

Each time it is downloaded is another violation. Only this time the violation
is by the CBQ group. You can only reproduce copyrighted material for your own
use. You can't give it to your buddy. You can't hand it out. The fact you can't
find the copyright owner doesn't matter.

Now, we are assuming that the copyright is still valid. And it most probably
is. Almost every magazine article receives some copyright protection beyond its
publication date.

All railroad magazines are infamous for claiming copyrights. Many of the early
magazines were bought or merged into magazines that are still in existence.
Railway Age is still in existence. It is a very treacherous slope. The burden
of proof is on you to prove that you didn't infringe. The copyright owner does
not have to prove the violation.

A general safe rule of thumb is 75 years backward from today's date. And then
you better be darn sure that you are right.

And then still go get permission.

I have to agree with Norm on this one. Go get written permission. And pull the
article until you do.

Randy Danniel