Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS Bulletins, Final Word?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS Bulletins, Final Word?
From: Bob Webber <zephyr1@a...>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:32:19 -0600
At 08:14 PM 11/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have no problem with continued discussion of this topic. I would, however,
>like to point out for the folks who are not aware, the "society information"
>you refer to, for all practical purposes, does not exist.

I would like to suggest that perhaps there is an answer for both the
authors and the society. While the results may not be complete enough to
create a full book, or even an article, it may be the way to share more
information to more people, with a little less expense and traveling.

While I realize that this refers to another railroad, I would like to point
you to WWW.DRGW.ORG. That web site, along with the current BRHS web site,
and the cyber museum for the CZ are examples of what can be done for
members. if you look through the steam area on the DRGW pages, you'll find
links to primary source information (for instance, images at the DPL). The
plan is to do more of the same with images and documents at the LOC, the
archives, and various other museums or collections. While the quality of
the images may not be the best (due to technical limitations), the fact
that you can see the images before you buy them (if need be) for an article
is a far cry from spending the money to travel and research all of these
items - leaving time & money to research more esoteric or harder to find
data. While I have a vested interest in it, I didn't start the web pages,
and I have joined the effort because it effectively allows the folks
interested in the D&RGW to have a virtual historical society in lieu of the
defunct one.

The point is, while some of us have some info, in our collections, we can
share them with others fairly easily, and spread the wealth of knowledge.
Folios, grade charts, equipment registers, employee timetables, rule books,
PTTs, etc. all lend themselves to this kind of sharing - and, due to the
limitations expressed earlier, it's not like you're giving everyone your
hard earned money - you keep the original, which is in the final analysis
much better to look at for research. BUT other folks have a chance to see
what is available, how it might impact their own research, what they might
want to research, etc.

So...as always with historical societies and other volunteer organizations
- you want it? Do it! Share your time, experience and treasures.

BW