Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS Bulletins, Final Word?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] BRHS Bulletins, Final Word?
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:14:36 EST
In a message dated 11/11/00 3:25:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kozys@t... writes:

<< So, it seems the status quo will be maintained until some fledgling author
steps up and writes the needed material. Of course, they will need access
to Society information to research their subject. Which kind of puts us
back to where we started - lack of info available regularly on wide areas
of interest, ensuring the greatest ongoing satisfaction to the largest
segment of members at any one time. Hmmm. >>

Paul,

I have no problem with continued discussion of this topic. I would, however,
like to point out for the folks who are not aware, the "society information"
you refer to, for all practical purposes, does not exist. There is very
little information in our archives that can be used for research and there
are very few photographs. The BRHS did not receive any large collections
when the Burlington Northern was created. Almost all pictures and documents
ended up in private collections. The small amount of material we have
collected or has been donated to us would be of marginal value to any
"fledgling author."

Unfortunately, future Bulletins are going to come from authors who locate
their own primary sources. I happen to know that members are working on
topics like SD's, signaling, analyzing a freight local, the Aurora mainline
elevation, and various articles on equipment. We can only hope that they can
find enough information and share these topics with us.

To reiterate, those of you who would like to develop data sheets, get
together a short article for the Zephyr (I just talked to Mike Spoor two days
ago, we would love this), or do a separate article (like the Red Oak Depot
article), let's talk. We need more help to do more!

Rich Gortowski