Re: [CBQ] C & I passenger service

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] C & I passenger service
From: "Ed Rethwisch via groups.io" <edreth1=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:19:48 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha256; bh=3UHJ6zHe98lWPDdpRJOrBlKl5GD3ubLm/OaxrjTt5cA=; c=relaxed/simple; d=groups.io; h=X-Received:X-Received:X-SONIC-DKIM-SIGN:X-YMail-OSG:X-Sonic-MF:X-Sonic-ID:X-Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version:References:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:List-Subscribe:List-Help:Sender:List-Id:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:Reply-To:List-Unsubscribe-Post:X-Gm-Message-State:Content-Type:Content-Length; s=20140610; t=1689520791; v=1; b=gk2nAY7lBuenVVAnc6BFe1GnZoVgjXpR1sSLRc1b4ENoPBRUGdvJ2UbwoQrLpWCvPfq/uWJp V9JhRlZGLHC/uAcApNycCfObkcJE/j5pyV0x1DWms7I4czL66MUgMJrD1ZPS1L7Fxxm+ojb8M+k K1Q2gjUfrETbIlvbfKfo0Gug=
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I do remember my father Karl L Rethwisch telling me the story about the last passenger train on the C&I he was the fireman from Savanna to Chicago and ran the train to Chicago he told me when the train finally showed up in Savanna( late,) he looked the train over and found a big mishmash of all kinds of different equipment CB&Q/GN/and NP passenger cars and even NP B units.
After departing Savanna found the train just didn't feal right and continued on making a stop at Oregon and had a huge run in worse than most freight trains almost knocking him out of his seat  thinking some of the cars brake systems were cut out then finally making it to Chicago union station late and was told there  were news reporters waiting to record the last train on the C&I from the twin city's and finally left because the train was so late there was a porter that walked to the head end and gave the crew a vase with a rose and told them this was the only thing left on the table in the diner at the Oregon station stop.
The equipment in the train was all coming to Chicago to sell to Amtrack and was not the best of the best.

Ed Rethwisch,

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#65552) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_