[CBQ] BRHS Spring Meet April 29, 2023 Invitation

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] BRHS Spring Meet April 29, 2023 Invitation
From: "Mike Martin via groups.io" <atsf3460=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:02:52 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dear CB&Q Fans and BRHS members,

On behalf of Scott Frietsch and myself we'd like to take some of your time and invite you to attend the Spring Meet that we are cohosting.  Scott and I have been involved with the Burlington Route Historical Society for quite a long time and attended our first meet in LaGrange in 1998 or so.  We feel we have put together a good meet and are very much looking forward to it.  We are reaching out to members of the groups.io CB&Q Railroad email list with an invitation to come to the BRHS Spring Meet on April 29th, 2023 which will be held in Morton, IL (near Peoria).  If you have been curious about the BRHS this would be a great opportunity to attend one of our meets.  Membership in the BRHS is not required to attend and there is not an extra fee to attend if you are not a member unless you'd like to be a vendor at the morning train show.

One change from the flyer is that the second clinic will be a clinic focusing on Scott Frietsch's HO Scale CB&Q layout that will be featuring both Peoria and the alley track operations in much compressed form.  Scott is also going to have a small hump yard representing Willis Yard and it will be fun to see how that develops (or not as the case may be!).  Scott's layout will head up to Eola on the Aurora Sub mainline featuring Kewanee and Zearing along with the branch to Streator.

I didn't go into much of the background of the photography of Dick Neumiller that will be featured in our after dinner presentation but I need to because I feel it will be special.  Dick Neumiller grew up in Peoria and attended Knox College in Galesburg.  Dick began photographing railroads as a young man and by 1951 was making quality photographs of railroads using color slide films.  Dick passed away in 2015 but we are fortunate that presenting Dick's photographs his lifelong friend Bon French.  Dick wisely provided for the future of his railroad photography by donating his archive to the Center for Railroad Photography and Art.  Bon, a railroad photographer and modeler himself, serves as the chairman of the board of directors for the Center also.  Bon's presentation is being presented with the assistance of Scott Lothes who is the president and executive director of the Center.

You may have never heard of Dick Neumiller as an Illinois railroad photographer but that is because he largely did it for himself and his own enjoyment.  Peoria has a rich history of photographers shooting railroads such as Paul Stringham, Monte Powell, and Steve Smedley and Dick's photography deserves an important place as well.  One place that Dick's photography has been shown has been in Brian Solomon's books.  Before Dick passed he was able to see his photography published in both Brian's books and in Trains magazine.  Trains used Dick's stunning photograph of the Santa Fe's Grand Canyon Limited on the Illinois River bridge.

Bon's presentation will be a long one consisting of at least 210 images.  Bon will take us on a survey of Peoria's railroading featuring ALL 14 roads.  After a break Bon will then feature the Burlington Route for the rest of his presentation both in Peoria and focusing on the entirety of the Burlington's geographic area that Dick photographed.  I will be posting some samples of Dick's photography for your enjoyment and hopefully whet your appetite to see more.  Many of these photographs have been shared on Facebook since Dick's son-in-law Bill (and my lifelong friend!) shared them on his personal Facebook page.  I got permission from Bill to share them on the railroad Facebook pages and since then they've been shared a bunch.

Thanks for your time and Scott and I will see you on April 29th in Morton, IL,

Mike Martin / Mahomet, IL
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#65287) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_