Re: [CBQ] Livestock yards

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Livestock yards
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 03:44:39 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The Montgomery Stock Yards were build on the original grade with the two mainlines elevated to join the mains thru Aurora.  The first track in from the elevated mains was "The Old North Main"  This had an electric unlock at the west end into Main 2.  There were two or three yard tracks with the west most track having a wood platform about18 (40 ft) Car lengths.  There were moveable gates for each of the 18 pens.  The gates would swing out to the car side as there were moveable ends in the gates that would extend out to the car.  A plank walkway was dropped between the platform and the car.  For Double Decks we had a Piece of Plywood to put inside of the movable gates to reach the top deck.  Often sheep would come flying out.  There was one moveable plywood ramp for double deck calves that took two men to move.  Once the livestock were in the receiving pens they would be let out one at a time into the alley ways which had gates along the way and herded into the scale( All movements were by Weight)  Scale tickets were used to record the weight.  Then they were let out of the scale and counted to match up with the way bill count.  and run into pens which had feed bunkers and water troughs.  In '67-69 the water tank was a huge ground tank.  With underground piping to each pen where there was an valve either on or off with a pipe in the trough that took the overflow back under ground to waste. All fencing, gates Etc was 2 X 6 with often ties for posts.  From the north there was two barns with the west barn had an auction area in the south end of the building the other was all  pens.  The west and half the middle barn were leased by Weitheheimer Cattle Co.  They unloaded there own calves.  Those not sold would be fed until sold for feeding and or slaughter.  The east barn was shared with the Railroad for calves.
More later
Steve in SC.