Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] Original CB&Q SW1 9148 Purchased by Wisconsin Great

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] Original CB&Q SW1 9148 Purchased by Wisconsin Great Northern Railway
From: "Erik Spoonmore" <espoonmore@att.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:16:15 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thanks for the update Bryan

Erik

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 02:10:07 PM CDT, Bryan Howell via groups.io <tubaman21=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

All,

The prime mover for the MTZ is coming from the CNW painted (never was a C&NW locomotive) SW600 that was purchased. As far as the MTZ website, Robert Tabern, the WGN employee that was running the website and doing the video updates has left the WGN. There have been no recent updates as there hasn't been much work going on. The WGN is running excursions this year and all the employees are needed for that. Additionally, the supply chain issues continue to plague the restoration as only one truck spring pack has arrived. They did start working on window glazing on the Injun Joe a few weeks ago. Control of the MTZ Facebook page remains with the WGN and updates will continue to be shared there, but the MTZ website is gone for now.

The purchase of the SW1 in question was done not knowing the heritage of the locomotive. There was no blue card in the cab, nor is there a builders plate or frame number. RRPA has it listed as an ex-DLW locomotive, but I have seen three sources now that point towards it being CB&Q 9148. A surprise is planned for those attending the Fall Meet event at the WGN and I don't want to spoil it. One of the reasons the SW1 was purchased was for the trucks. The SW600 was also going to donate a truck for the MTZ, but the style of roller bearings on those trucks protrude out too far to clear the skirting on the MTZ. The roller bearings on the trucks of the SW1 have a lower profile, so one of the trucks from that will go to the MTZ, hence the purchase. Fitting it may actually be a Q locomotive supplying the truck to resurrect the MTZ. The SW1 is operable and will remain so.

Should the WGN do what they are planning to do, those attending the Fall Meet event at the WGN are in for quite a treat.

Bryan J. Howell
Superior, WI

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 1:52 PM, Erik Spoonmore