[CBQ] Artesian Wells on Q ROW at Sheridan,IL ?

To: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Artesian Wells on Q ROW at Sheridan,IL ?
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 08:42:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
While tweaking the BRHS Spring meet presentation with the Sheridan Historical
Society yesterday a current picture of a flowing artesian well on the row about
1.1 miles west of the depot was produced. Local verbal history is that there
two of them and they were used by the Q in the earliest days (line built in
1871).

There is a pipe about a foot to 18” high coming out of the ground but I don’t
see any sign of any footings for a water crane or tower(it’s been 150 years…..)
This location is in a small cut with no level ground near the ROW.

I have a late 1870s,1895 and 1908 ETTs that cover the line but these don’t have
any of the later columns for water,coal,etc. None of my later ETTs ever show
water at Sheridan.

Anyone know of a similar artesian well use by the Q . How would the water get
up into a loco tender ?

Leo Phillipp