Re: [CBQ] CB&Q China Inquiry

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q China Inquiry
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:25:17 -0600
Cc: <wiigy1@orcon.net.nz>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Al, Bryan and All-

I always thought that the upright shape was a “Coffee Pot”.  I have two of the original Hall “Tea Pots” that have the classic squat teapot shape.  The single attached image is like the ones I have.   The composite image of three show one like Byran’s which is elsewhere captioned as a “Hot Water Pot”, a Sugar Bowl and a straight sided upright one which is also captioned as a “Tea Pot” but elsewhere is labeled “Individual Creamer”.

It may be that coffee was only served as poured by the waiter out of a sterling silver coffee pot and the Colbalt Blue ware was limited to tea and hot water (and sugar).

One like Bryan’s is on eBay purported to be stamped “Hall” with an asking price of $98.99; I assume that the reproduction would be valued less.  The repros were made by Hall for the Private Car Ltd. So beware of listings that simply state “Hall Stamp” as technically that would include the repros.

Some of the online photos show these in a Blue that looks more like “Royal Blue”….the examples I’ve seen are a rich dark “Colbalt Blue” so I don’t know if this is internet color shift or a variation.  Google “Burlington Colbalt Blue Ware” and you’ll see examples.

There was a BRHS member whose name escapes me that was a collector and dealer in railroadiana who was an expert on china and silverware and I think he published a catalog.   I don’t recall if I have one but will be on the lookout for it.

Charlie Vlk