Re: [CBQ] Rollers / was: Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rollers / was: Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "Jack Schroeder" <jack@highlandwebworks.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 18:06:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dallas:
Reassigning the destination is a very common practice in the lumber business, and supported by the RR. Lumber is a graded commodity and the movement of it is normally connected to a sale. The grower/producer or lumber broker would bill a car to someplace, -any place- in the general direction of a potential final consumer/buyer. While on route the broker would contact his customers and when they reached a deal the broker would reassign the car from is original 'any where destination' to the specific buyer's location. If the car moved faster than the broker could make a sale there could be more then one 'destination' given to the car. Without a buyer the broker would keep the car moving around so long as the freight costs did not exceed his profits. The broker always wanted the car to move as slow as possible until he made the sale. Then he would be pushing us to get the car moving faster.  ^|^

If there is a RR lumber marketing guy reading this they could tell you more. I was an Ag Products guy, but we understood each others markets - to a degree.

Jack Schroeder
CBQ/BN/BNSF - Ft. Worth marketing guy
817 485-1922
jack@highlandwebworks.com