Re: [CBQ] Less Than Car Load

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Less Than Car Load
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 03:27:19 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Leo's got it right.   Those side door waycars were not built and put on branch line trains just to make theml "look pretty"..They were "multi use' vehicles.   Even through my relatively late trainman experiences lots of those branch line locals were "mixed trains" and carried  not many passengers, but some of the "acccoutraments" of passenger trains ie  in come rare cases  U S Mail, and Railway Express.  On the last branch line local Il worked in 1958 we always had cream cans and express.  The rear brakeman got paid an extra $40.00 per month for handling the express.   Sometimes rather than "take up" an entire boxcar for LCL a few smaller packages were carried in that side door WC.   There were also some extra seats in that open space for the occasional passenger.

Pete