Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Livestock Cars

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Livestock Cars
From: "Douglas Harding" <iowacentralrr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:05:29 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Couple of things could be happening. At first I thought these might be cars containing hogs headed to Tobin Packing. So it could be a feed and rest stop, with the hogs being fed, watered, etc. Or it could be hog showers, using track side pipes to cool down the hogs enroute. But Tobin in both Rochester and West Albany, NY were served by the NYC not the NKP. CBQ stockcars going to Tobin were given to the NYC in the Chicago area. Now there were other slaughter operations in the east and the NKP was a major shipper of meat to the north east, as well as livestock

Upon a closer look at the photos, the first photo looks to have an empty stockcar, indicating these could be empty cars returning to the CBQ. The second photo only shows two stockcars on the head end. This could indicate cars with animals as it was common to put livestock on the head end. or they could be empties the conductor wanted as far from the caboose as possible. Do we know if the train pictured is EB or WB?

I agree it does appear to be a roundhouse or railroad shops in the background. Stockyards were typically at the end of the yard that may pickups and setups easiest. Not knowing the NKP very well I don’t know where they might have had a feed and rest station.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org