Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] NPRHA 2020 Freight Car Survey

To: <CBQ@groups.io>, <BRHSlist@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] NPRHA 2020 Freight Car Survey
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:06:45 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Bill and all-

I would look to other railroad technical societies to see what they are doing to increase interest in their railroad.

The PRT&HS has a quarterly online The Keystone Modeler which is free and available to anyone wanting to read or download it.

This is indicative of the base of interest in and active modeling of the Pennsylvania Railroad.   In my consulting practice the PRR was at the top of the list in providing timely research suport for projects.   This is one of the reasons why the PRR has (in my mind) a disproportionate representation of models.  The UP, ATSF and SP were also fairly strong but more from individuals rather than their historical societies.

It is wonderful yet at the same time unfortunate that the Model Railroad market has matured past the day that models could be decorated for any railroad and sell well.  Many modelers today will not rush out to buy a CB&Q XM-32 paint job on a PS welded box car body anymore.

To get a production non-brass O5a or any CB&Q steam or CB&Q-specific diesel, freight or passenger car we would have to demonstrate a modeling base willing to buy it.   We would also have to come up with a research package with drawings, photos and other complete information on a timely basis  to support a project.

When I was at Kato the ball started rolling for N Scale with the 50th anniversary of the company.   I thought that we could do a business car to commemorate the event.   Kato had a JNR heavyweight car and I proposed it be used for the project.   To my surprise Tokyo came back with “No, we need to do it on a new US prototype.”   It took me all of a day before I brought in the drawings for the “Burlington”.   Later, they did the car in HO.   Likewise, when they decided to do corrugated cars I picked CB&Q cars that were generally close to other railroad’s equipment (this was before stand-ins were no longer acceptable in the market).

So, thanks to a CB&Q fan being at one importer, the following Q prototypes were made in production  N Scale models:

Business Car “Burlington”

Pre-war Baggage, RPO, Coach, Diner and Parlor Observation.

Post-war TCZ Dome, Slumbercoach,  and CZ 10-6

E8/E9

Later after I left Kato did:

Complete “California Zephyr”

Passenger F-3ABA

“Silver Streak” car set (using previous pre-war cars)

E-5A (based on Nick Muff drawings which I corrected)

While working as a Consultant with Broadway Limited I did artwork for:

NW2 CB&Q and ATSF/C&S HO

SD7 / SD9 CB&Q  HO

E7 / E8/ E9   CB&Q  HO & N

F3 passenger and Freight

USRA O4  CB&Q and C&S

Complete “California Zephyr” HO (with proper length Car Name Plates for all cars)

I am not sure what model I would propose for a manufacturer to tool today.   I do note that there are no production 50 Ft 1 ½ Door single sheathed box cars in plastic.   The trouble is that the CB&Q, NP, GN, SP, ATSF, UP, and other roads that had them all have significant variations in ends, side framing and other details.   I believe it would be a viable project for some importer to tool accurate side, roof, and end inserts to make accurate varieties of the cars but somebody would have to put together a research package and convince an importer to move the project forward.  I think it would be a dandy project for Accurail if somebody could convince Dennis that it would sell.

I think the key to getting more CB&Q models is along these lines.   Look at the cars the Q had and figure out a viable project.   Then provide a complete research package to an appropriate manufacturer or importer.  Each one has a different production profile and finding one that “fits” a CB&Q project would be important.   For example, I would never promote a freight car to Kato….they will not do variations in paint job, depth of road numbers spread out over several productions to satisfy the market.   They want to do sets and move on to another project.

Kato did well with the E5 and the Silver Streak as a set but need to be convinced to do the E5B and TCZ in N and maybe try the Silver Streak as a trial for the HO market.

I mention all the above as a BRHS member.   I did my part to raise the profile of the Burlington and it is time for others to step in and up the ante.  I would be glad to advise off-list to anyone wanting to work to these ends.

Charlie Vlk

BRHS #24

Railroad Model Resources

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60959) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_