Re: [CBQ] Highlands Depot

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Highlands Depot
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 08:44:22 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Here’s some Additional info. On Highlands depot.
When I was researching for our BRHS presentation on the history of the Q in Hinsdale the Hinsdale Historical Society provided some interesting background on both West Hinsdale and Highlands depots.

Both were built by developers who wanted train service to their new housing areas. To each the Q said no to investing its money but that if the developer would build it, the Q would stop. An early version of “build it and they will come”.

West Hinsdale had a livelier history than Highlands. The West Hinsdale depot ended up literally being built on the lot lines between Q property and development property. Later
The developer decided he wanted to move the depot totally to his property. A passing train crew noticed this nighttime work and upon arrival at Chicago,Q management was made aware. Shortly a special left Chicago loaded with men who were to confront the
Movers at West Hinsdale. A standoff occurred and the depot stayed where it was. That is until a passing freight train derailed and took off what had been a covered porch or extension that led to the platform. This derailment included the release of livestock to wander around the growing development.

Leo Phillipp