Re: [CBQ] Kato HO Scale model Poll

To: "mthomasson@austin.rr.com" <mthomasson@austin.rr.com>, "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Kato HO Scale model Poll
From: "Nolen Null via groups.io" <NNull=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 02:30:49 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tim & Mike,

Notice that the Kato poll says E5A.  No mention of an E5B.

If your HO E5A from Hallmark in plated brass, as my memory serves me without digging thru the closet, it is under size for HO scale.  My suspicion is that the builder in Japan (Kumata), was supplied plans from Railroad Model Craftsman, which appeared before the model.  The plans in the magazine were definitely under size.  Yes the Hallmark version was always a coffee grinder.  I managed to trade mine off when I had the chance to pick up one that had been rebuilt with a 36-1 gearhead can motor on each truck, delrin plastic chain drive hooked up to Hobbytown of Boston helical geared wheelsetd.  You can push it across a piece of glass and it coasts.

Nolen Null