[CBQ] Burning Up The Ballast At Altona

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] Burning Up The Ballast At Altona
From: "Louis Zadnichek via groups.io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 21:19:19 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
October 28, 2020

Group - The "flying" locomotive burning up the ballast at Altona, IL, in the attached image is a nearly new Class S-1 passenger 4-6-2 type.  Note that it's powering an express train of refrigerator cars.  No doubt the hottest train on the division that long ago day in 1908!  May be the cars were loaded with apples from Washington State or some other very valuable perishable freight requiring passenger train speeds to get it to market in time. I don't think the cargo was silk as that was handled in baggage cars. Look closely and you can see the head brakeman standing-up on the tender facing backwards on the engineer's side to check his train for hot boxes or other problems.

Plus, you can just barely see the elevated crossing guard shack at far left that has a bell.  No doubt it's ringing loudly to warn of the fast approaching reefer express. An "exciting" action image, even some 112 years later. I imagine that the hogger had just about slung out the journal box oil on all the reefer trucks from the high speed run. This is the only photograph I've ever seen of a Class S-1 powering a reefer express. This image and nearly 27,500 others can now be found on the BRHS Website Members Only Section in the Flickr Section. Also just posted are a wide selection of 4960/5632 fan trip fliers from the late 1950s and into the mid-1960s. Have a look!  - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60642) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_