Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Empty GN/NP/SP&S Boxcar Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Empty GN/NP/SP&S Boxcar Extras
From: "Tristan via groups.io" <tristan556=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 06:18:11 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
All,

Steve hit the nail on the head.  The trains performance is based on a majority of factors.  A good engineer can compensate for a number of things such as power, train make up, etc.  When I get called for a trip I will look at my power and train make up and decide whether it will make it over certain parts of the territory.  With more the modern power that the BNSF has today, a train with 0.8 horsepower per ton will make it over the C&I.  Granted it will be slow going but the difference between one motor or two makes a world of difference.  A train with one motor will struggle to ascend every hill on the C&I.  Two motors will still slowly go up hill but the overall effort is spread out over more traction motors and handles better.

That being said, one motor between Savanna and North La Crosse handles very well.  It might take 10 miles to get up to speed but once at speed on river grade that one motor will be able to maintain speed.

Tristan Dwyer

Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone