Re: [CBQ] CB&Q and agricultural implements

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q and agricultural implements
From: "Michael Woodruff" <mwoodruff54@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 20:18:18 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
John Deere is still shipping new tractors by rail:

msw
az

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 8:13 PM Steven Holding <sholding@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Most large farm equipment manufacturers had factories across the country.  The country was split up into districts which did the sales and distribution of the equipment to the local dealers.  Who would deliver it to the farmer and do service and handle parts for repairs.
"150 Years of International Harvester"  C.H. Wendel  1981 ISBN No. 0-912612-18-5  Is an early history of IH.  Not sure if there are newer histories of the company.  Try interlibrary loan to read a copy.
The Truck shop for IH was still active into the 70's as I drove a brand-new pickup for the Fox Valley Park Dist. in the summer of '68. out of the warehouse.  Took in to an inspection and it did not pass so had to take it to the FVPD Garage on River St. so they could fix it.
The John Deere Dist. Office at one time was also on the Alley two doors down from the   West Aurora Freight House before moving across the river north of the Shops on Broadway.
Steve in SC