Re: [CBQ] CB&Q and agricultural implements

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q and agricultural implements
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 18:29:39 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Ashley,

There a couple of members who have first hand experience of buying farm equipment. I’ll let them fill in the details of how the processed worked.

Below is my experience over the last 30 plus years purchasing John Deere’s  larger lawn equipment. The type that isn’t handled by the big box hardware stores. When I’m looking for a new piece of equipment I go to a local JD dealer,spend time with the sales guys defining exactly which model I need, negotiate a price and then wait for item to arrive and be serviced. I believe the farming side is similar. But today I’m told many larger farmers lease their equipment instead of owning.

All farm equipment dealers have large maintenance operations for equipment owners.

Since your working on the I.H. Aurora branch office here are more details learned from a BRHS member who contacted after Bulletin 51 was published. This overview and much more detail are in the BRHS members only section of our web site. Since you aren’t a member here are the highlights.

- Aurora Branch was what today we’d call a distribution center. It closed in 1953.
-handled around 400 carloads of equipment, implements and smaller appliances per year.
-office served 75 IH dealers throughout northern Illinois from Bloomington to the Wisconsin border.
- the dealers would come to the Aurora office and take their equipment back to their dealership.

Leo Phillipp