Re: [CBQ] North Kansas City freight house

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] North Kansas City freight house
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 19:41:50 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bill,

The BN railroad guys I know just call it 10th Street. The BN Intermodal yard was there prior to being closed at the BNSF merger when everything was moved to the Santa Fe side at Argentine. For through trains that came from UP/SP to BN to go up to Brookfield, a retired UP engineer has told me 10th Street was where they made the crew change or where a pilot dropped on/off. In the 1980s, one rail I know worked the Bedford industrial job which switched all of the industries in the industrial park east of the Interstate which was developed by the Q. They would sometimes use these tracks to help organize their train. Even in the 1980s, he said it was not unusual to pull 70-90 cars out of the industrial park on a regular basis. The last I knew, that is the only industrial switch job BNSF has left at Murray.  When they removed the hump after the BNSF merger, Murray became a true prototype version of a model railroad staging yard.

As part of the aerial photo series, there are shots of Murray Yard prior to reconfiguration after the Frisco merger. The roundhouse was still in place. Here is that section.

Bill Hirt