Re: [CBQ] North Kansas City freight house

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] North Kansas City freight house
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 19:14:28 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bill,

Did the Q have a name for the small yard between the grain elevator and the freight depot? Murray Yard is slightly less than a mile west of the freight house location running north and south adjacent to Broadway Ext, Wheeler Airport and the Missouri River.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

North Kansas City freight house
From: William Hirt
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 08:55:21 PDT

Leo asked yesterday about other CB&Q freight houses in the Kansas City area. In doing research for a local layout in the BN era, the city of North Kansas City was kind enough to provide me a CD of aerial photos taken in 1979 for a sewer project.

North is at the top of the picture. The North Kansas City freight house was located east of I-29/I-35. It is identified on the photograph as the CB&Q freight house. It was built in the early 1960s and was a large Butler-style building. The grain elevator shown to the south of the freight house is the former Wabash elevator (which at this time was associated with Ralston Purina). This elevator still stands as the city of North Kansas City now owns it and expense of tearing it down is more than the city can afford. The freight house was torn down some time I believe in the late 1980s. The trackage between elevator and the freight house still exists and appears now to be a mainly ballast staging/storage area for BNSF.

Bill HIrt

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#59797) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic