Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Sidings Book

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Sidings Book
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:07:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Charlie,

The industrial property book shows Nabisco as undeveloped farm land that was then available for development.

Speaking of industries on the “East end” here a few tidbits I’ve learned from conversations with the “old heads” and from researching ETTs and the Aurora lodges files.
-up until right after WWII there were two East end wayfreights. They worked 7 days a week. One started out of Clyde and the other out of Eola and each returned to their origin point. They would normally meet at Downers Grove yard(thanks to Ray Buhrmaster For that info.) to exchange cars.
-the East end wayfreight originating at Eola had 2-4 cars of LCL. This next point I haven’t been able to validate beyond one source. That point was that the Eola based wayfreight had a 3rd brakeman who handled all that LCL, the other two did all the switching.
-I’ve found one file where the East end wayfreight spent over 3 hours switching just Naperville on a particular day.

Much of this info. Was discovered or learned while researching “Operations at Congress Park”. That’s the title of a future Bulletin article That will be an in depth look at the Q/IHB interchange, the Congress Park job,etc,etc,etc. The volume of business through that little 5 track yard is hard to believe, except for those of who handled it.

Leo Phillipp