[CBQ] May 26 and May 31......

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] May 26 and May 31......
From: "rekkedrails" <rekkedrails298@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 07:48:55 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

This postcard has been in my collection for many years, and this current "stay at home" environment has me cleaning and sorting storage space.  Since the two dates span this week, this seems like an appropriate post to the group.

The postcard documents several important events in the early days of Zephyr service on the CB&Q.

The front proclaims the schedule for the Zephyr as the 1st streamline train in regular service in America, between Kansas City and Lincoln.  The hand notation, as best as I can decipher "were on Denver CB&Q Zephyr May 31 1936."

The back printing documents the May 26, 1934 record run of the Zephyr from Denver to Chicago.

The red stamp is a first day cover stamp for the beginning of "Zephyr" service between Denver and Chicago.  Unfortunately, much of the red stamp is over the black print, and not legible.  What is legible below the black print:  "Denver-Chicago in 16 hours, May 31, 1936.   Streamlined Diesel-powered Stainless steal.  1st regular streamline service from Denver to Chicago"

The postmark (cancellation) is Denver, May 31, 1936.   (1 cent to mail a postcard!)

To the right of the postmark, the black rubber stamp RMS with "tread" marks -  RMS stands for Railroad Mail Service  (per citation in Linns web site.)

I have yet to decipher the city and state to which the card was mailed --

Frank Dekker

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#59595) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic