Re: [CBQ] 1957 Special to Galena ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1957 Special to Galena ?
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 09:59:50 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Leo,

No it was not a fall color trip. It was just one of the many steam fan trips of
that era. The trip was organized and hosted by the Railroad Club of Chicago and
ran on October 6, 1957. At Savanna, O1A mikado 5090 was suppose to replace the
5631 for the portion of the trip to Galena. However, prior to departure,
someone on the Q decided that track condition on the Galena Branch was not in
shape to handle the mikado, so, a GP7 was substituted. The 5090, however, was
at Savanna, under steam, to greet the fans on the trip.The Q always did things
first class! I don’t have the train consist for that trip, but the 10 car
estimate is fairly close. I would say 10 to 12 cars including a baggage car, a
diner and, in those days, the Omaha Club on the rear. Photos of that trip and
the two steam locomotives are available in the BRHS members only Flickr Album.
I still have a ticket stub from that trip and the original fan trip flyer. It
was a thrilling ride, but not as good as the 3003 Hudson trip the month before
that operating Chicago - Savanna - Galesburg - Chicago. On that trip, my dad
clocked the 3003 at 96 mph between Mendota and Aurora. I am well aware of the
historic run that 5631 made between Aurora and Savanna. Some say that it was
the shortest time that the trip between those two point had ever been made. The
decade between 1955 and 1966 was a wonderful time for a young teen age boy in
the Chicago area, interested in trains and steam. It sparked a life long
interest, career and hobby for me.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO