Re: [CBQ] Q bobber/ Chicago Track Elevation

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q bobber/ Chicago Track Elevation
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:54:04 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

The discussion about CB&Q Bobbers brings to mind a photo that showed a NM-2 on a construction train on the flyover bridge at Western Avenue from the mainline over to the track down to the stockyards.   It was part of the construction photos of the bridge that IIRC the late Joe Douda had in his collection.

Does anyone have photos of the Chicago Track Elevation Projects?   I am aware of the Illinois Railroad and Warehouse Commission Annual Reports photos, illustrations in the Railroad Trade Press,  and the ones that have been offered recently on eBay showing the Western Avenue Yard and vicinity.

For some reason photos of the CB&Q track elevation projects are less available than other railroads.   As far as I know only one very grainy photo of the California Avenue to BRC portion has surfaced.   Very few photos of the Western Avenue to Union Avenue section have shown up.

Joe Douda recalled that his grandparents lived across from Western Avenue Yard as it was being elevated….a couple of tracks at a time, under traffic as the yard was still the main freight yard for the CB&Q East End!!!

Another puzzle is the City of Chicago Track Elevation Ordinances called for the Panhandle and other tracks to be elevated and for the CB&Q to cross UNDER them in the vicinity of Western Avenue.   At some point the railroads must have figured out a way for the CB&Q to stay elevated between the BRC-California Avenue and Western Avenue-Union Avenue segments instead of dipping down to grade in between….but I’ve not found any discussion or documentation of that decision.

I would appreciate leads on CB&Q Chicago Track Elevation photos, or for that matter any photos of the tracks before they were elevated…..including stations at Hawthorne, the BRC, Crawford, Millard Avenue/Lawndale/Shedd Park, Douglas Park, CC&IC Crossing, Western Avenue, Blue Island Avenue, Ashland Avenue, and Canal & 16th.

Charlie Vlk

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#58673) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic