Re: [CBQ] Midwest 1930s Steam and Diesel

To: cbq@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Midwest 1930s Steam and Diesel
From: "Douglas Hosler" <dehosler@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:24:43 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I found this an amazing grainy, unedited video.   In spite of the “low production quality”  it was well worth the nearly half hour it lasted.

It took me back to when steam was “just there” and nothing special.

Trying to guess where something was photographed was part of the game of watching it.

I did find the railhead dancing by switchmen at SPUD very scary!   OMG, is that what they did?  Yes!   My dad, who wanted to work for the Q in its Chicago office but wound up with the PFE there instead because of higher pay, quietly and effectively taught me the dangers of railroads, including crossing tracks (one thing was to avoid getting your foot caught in the switch points on the mainline especially - where they could close without notice).

Somewhat irrelevant:  While my dad's heart really never left the Q, I did learn from him one negative way of referring to the Q; namely,  "Com’on Boys and Quit."  Does anyone else know of other derogatory ways in which the Q or other railroads were referred to by those working on railroads?

Doug Hosler