Re: [CBQ] Charlie_Vlk-EMD_F_Units_Spotting_Features

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Charlie_Vlk-EMD_F_Units_Spotting_Features
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 15:48:24 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Jack and all-

First, thanks to Jack for acting as Company Photographer and Videographer at the Fall Meet as well as his continuing efforts on adding value to the Members Only pages!

I have unearthed my EMD Locomotive Reference Data sheets and will, when I get a break from other projects underway, transcribe the information on F Units and give it to Jack to upload as a supplement to my presentation.

These list, unit by unit, the locomotive number, order number, electrical equipment type, unit type, transition type, dynamic brake Y or N,  prime mover serial number, EMD builders number, gear ratio, steam generator capacity, delivery date, and wiring diagram number.

I also have in the back of my mind drawing up artwork for a poster showing the original configuration of units as-delivered and the reconfigurations and renumbering that took place.

As the CB&Q had a relatively simple roster with only the breakup of four unit sets into three and a few renumberings that allowed that to happen and a few transfers to subsidiaries it may be possible to do this with illustrations of the units using the drawings in my presentation.  This may be an involved project so don’t hold your breath on seeing it soon…..

At this time I am still working on documenting the Aurora-Chicago lines of the CB&Q, Chicago & Aurora and the Aurora Branch so won’t be working on documenting

later modifications to the units (horns, antennas, cutting back skirts and removing coupler shrouds, modifications of pilots, spark arrestors, substitution of the “wrong” fan assemblies, and B Unit Hostler controls, etc..   This research still needs to be done to complete the history of F Units and anyone in the BRHS that is interested in these subjects is welcome to pursue it without fear of duplication of effort.

Charlie Vlk