Re: [CBQ] CA&E in Aurora

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CA&E in Aurora
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 14:21:41 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bob, Leo and List
I worked at Congress Park starting in Feb. 73  and have a list of an X50 that set out 72 cars of coal there on 3/31/73.  We use to get a train load set on the south Wye about every month for CCP   on the IHB.  Which I think was Clinton Corn Products.  This might be what use to go thru the CA&E
Remember having to use cards to work with the computer.  Each Train had a deck of cards for the train,  A deck for the consist.  You first used the train deck to arrive the train.  That put the consist in your station.  Then you took the consist deck and ran them thru to interchange the train.  That took the cars away from you in the computer.  Russ Strotz worked third trick and he figured out a card that attached to the card puncher that would duplicate the cards for the inbound cars so when we got the coal train back from the IHB all you had to do was shuffle a blank card with the old loaded cards you had interchanged the car with and it would punch a new card to interchange receive the empty cars.  Now you had the empty cars in your yard and just had to Arrive the outbound train..  Then add the car cards to the consist  and then Depart the train all with cards IF the card reader worked.  The IBM service man was at Congress Park at least every other day to try and keep the card reader in service.
Getting railroading into the Computer Age was an interesting job.
Steve in SC