Re: [CBQ] Hostler Windows in F3/F7 B Units

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hostler Windows in F3/F7 B Units
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:10:11 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom-

I know, I know…..but there are a number of people on the CBQ/BRHS lists that do the same thing to me on and off list on a regular (sometimes daily) basis so I feel your pain!!!    It does keep the old grey matter charged though!!!

The coal region B Unit shifter was a very late homemade modification and even ended up having a window cut into one end if I recall correctly.

The Q was not without experience in Hostler controls having received likely the first such application of them in the 9906B and 9907B Denver Zephyr tractor units that had end windows for the purpose.  The E5B diagram does call out a Hostlers Station at the small window on the right front side of the unit.   Infrequent use of those features may have caused the ever-thrifty CB&Q to save a few dollars on subsequent B units.

While it is not clearly called out in the generic EMD Operators Manual as a keyed number on the floor plan (attached as a pdf) the standard location for the Hostler Controls (based on the previously posted D&RGW photo where you can see the hand brake wheel) (recalling that the front F is the generator end of the layout where the cab would be…two hatches on the roof end of B units) on the right side of the unit at the first porthole (which is indicated as swinging in on the diagram).

It would make sense that the Q would use an off the shelf EMD part like an in-swinging window from an E-7  (even one already on hand).   The Burlington diagram pages put the controls on a free-standing group at the right front door rather than on the wall at the first porthole adjacent to it so it may be proof that the units did not come from the factory with hostler controls and they were not so equipped until the sets were broken up into individual units.

Again, the Operating Manual for the CB&Q F3s and F7s probably would shed some light on the presence or absence of Hostler Controls.

Interesting that of the sixty or so F3 / F7 B units only six seem to have received Hostler Windows of the type and location we are discussing.   It would be nice to uncover the whole story.

Maybe some former employees have recollection of the controls and especially those units that had them in different locations!

Charlie Vlk

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57934) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic