[CBQ] Hostler Windows in F3/F7 B Units

To: <CBQ@groups.io>, <BRHSlist@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] Hostler Windows in F3/F7 B Units
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:28:45 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
All-

I am looking for information about the Hostler Windows that were installed
by the railroad in some F3 and F7 B Units.

I have looked in BB No. 4 and it states that CB&Q 160B, 169B and C&S 700C
got them.
Additionally, I have photos that are labeled  CB&Q 163B & 163B and C&S 700C.
I cannot confirm from the photos that they are indeed the unit numbers.

I asked Hol Wagner about this and he says they appear to have been applied
during wreck rebuilds.

The side panels on F (and E Units) are a composite of plywood and steel (or
stainless steel).  They are held in place on the framework by screws in the
batten strips and are not a major job to repair/replace.   It is likely that
the hostler windows were a Burlington modification.   While I have not
scanned ALL the F unit photos available to me I don't recall seeing such a
window on other road's units so I doubt that it is a stock EMD part.

Does anyone have any railroad documentation on these windows?   Is there a
list of which units they were applied to and why?   I am not sure if the
windows were fixed gasketed panes or operable in some manner.    I do know
that most B Units F2 thru F9 did have rudimentary controls for movement of
the units in shops and engine terminals.  I am not sure if the CB&Q units
came with hostler controls as they were originally drawbar equipped.

It appears from the diagram book pages, although not noted, there is a
hostler control stand in the B unit for F7 ABA
Sets 167ABC-169ABC.  Also for F7 ABBA Sets C&S 700ABCD-702ABCD and FW&D
750ABCD-752ABCD.  F3s 137ABCD-138ABCD which were reassembled into ABA sets
with new F7As 163A-166A also show control stands.  All are next to the right
front door of the B unit (front on a B unit (F) being the long end where the
cab would go on an A unit).  This is a non-standard location apparently
meant to use the right side and front door for visability.

This brings into question if the "Hostler's Window" was indeed that as they
are on the right rear side of the B unit.

An actual Burlington EMD Operators Manual for F3 and F7 locomotives might
have the information, at least for the as-built configuration of the
Hostlers Control Station if any.

Any ideas????

Charlie Vlk

PS  One general internet discussion on the subject states:
"EMD made three types of porthole sashes -
1. the regular fixed version found on every F7, F3, E8 both A and B units
2. the hinged ones that swing out F B unit's (the middle one) and some on E
units
these were only intended for ventilation with the locomotive not moving
3. the hinged ones that swing IN. Rarest and only found at the hostlers
location, which is the forward porthole on the right side front end.

Thus most F7 and F3 B unit had three fixed, two hinged version #2 and one
hinged version #3.

And from a standard EMD F7 Operating Manual
" 211 Operating a "B" Unit with Hostler's Controls Operation at the hostler
station is the same as an "A" unit. The push button switches are beside the
controller. The brake valve cutout cock is below the brake valve. The bell
valve is a globe valve near the controller. Only No. 1 transition is
available. Movement of the reverse lever automatically places the locomotive
in No. 1 transition. It is to be remembered that the operation of the ''B"
unit controls will operate all units joined to it. When securing the hostler
control be sure all push buttons are pulled out, the controller and reverser
pinned, and the brake valve cut out, as these items will affect operation at
any other station or cab."