[CBQ] An article on Q’s uburban service you might not have seen

To: cbq@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] An article on Q’s uburban service you might not have seen
From: "Douglas Hosler" <dehosler@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 22:05:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The article is “Creating the Land of the Burlingtons: Burlington’s Significant Investments in its Suburban Service 1946-1960” by Ray Buhrmaster, David Hoffman, George Kanary, and Norm Carlson in First and Fastest  (the publication of the Shore Line Interurban Historical Society) Summer 2018 Vol 34, No 2., pages 50 to 65 - with lots of photos.

The very odd looking older steel suburban car with strange truck covers is on page 55 with an explanation of the car being used to test Budd’s disc brakes, which I think was covered earlier in response by this group.

I found the article very helpful - and I could enjoy nostalgia for a period I witnessed but knew little about.

The article states that there will be forthcoming article on the next phase of the changes the Q was making to suburban service but that has not appeared yet.

Shore Line Historical does not seem to have back copies of that but interlibrary loan should be able to get copies of the article.

I feel a bit modest in that many of you (including Leo Phillipp) know much more than I do about the suburban service and are in a better position than I to comment on the article.  And further this article may have been referred to earlier in these discussions.

Doug Hosler

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57882) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic