Re: [CBQ] NYC and EL pools

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] NYC and EL pools
From: "Tom Mack via Groups.Io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 05:16:53 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Thu, Dec 2, 1999 at 12:32 AM, mgmoore@xxxxx.xxx wrote:
Thanks to Bob Campbell, Ed DeRouin and others for great info on power pooling especially on trains to the Twin Cities. Can any of you answer the following questions regarding the pools?: 1. What date did the NYC pool begin and what were some of the models of NYC motive power observed? 2. Did the Q ever pool with the Great Northern after 1965? If so, any power used besides F Units? 3. What date did the EL pools and did anyone ever observe ALCO Century 424 or 425 models in pool service? Thanks again to all of you for the great info on this board and especially to Dave Lotz for his vigilant upkeep of it. Signed, Mike Moore (Possessing a voracious appetite for Savanna to St. Paul info!)
Way back in 1999 Mike Moore asked if anyone ever observed EL Alco C-424 or C-425 locomotives in pool service with the Q. No one could confirm this. I do have confirmation. On 7-1-1969 a train at Daytons Bluff yard had the following pool power: CB&Q 982 GP35, CB&Q 515 SD24, EL 2572 GP35, EL 2458 C-425.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2090986

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2091001

In regard to the NYC pool, the photographically confirmed NYC models I show are GP40, U25B, and U30B (Phase I with half-height radiators), with the U25B's being the most common.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57358) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic