Re: [CBQ] 1936 “Glass Train”

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1936 “Glass Train”
From: "David" <djross720@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:12:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thanks, Doug, for the information on the Glass Train, especially that article reference for the Santa Fe Warbonnet- hadn't turned that one up to date!  I had searched the Q forum but those references must have been on another forum you belong to.  In any case, appreciate the notes.  Scouring the newspapers at newspapers.com I've  not turned up anything else that mentions a passenger car or coach.  I'm chalking that up to just an error of interpretation on the part of the reporters. (The story did appear April 1st so maybe... nahhh, they just didn't know what they were talking about.)  Still wish I could nail down a loco number for the Burlington's tour of duty from St. Louis to KC.

One interesting tidbit I noticed was that a No. 14 passenger train out of Hannibal bound for St. Louis was involved in a mishap- a fellow piled up rock on the track in an effort, as it states, to hijack it for a ride east.  It suffered minor damage but did not derail and the hapless miscreant was sentence to 10 years in prison.  The article states that the westbound Glass Train had passed Hannibal, along the same line, less than two hours ahead of the eastbound No. 14, so...

As for the springs, not knowing anything about this at all, my guess is that they didn't want to allow the wellcar to start swaying with a relatively top heavy center of gravity.  The disc was packed in several inches of cork, rubber and felt and its crate was anchored to the wellcar with a boat load of  2" bolts each employing compression springs and torqued down to some specification.  I'm sure you're right and then some saying that they thought long and hard on it.  I couldn't see the pic you referred to about noticing the absence of the usual springs, so I don't know exactly what you meant, as I'm sure I would not have noticed this to begin with.  So, thank you, again...

Dave Ross
North Canton, OH