Re: [CBQ] Tanking

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Tanking
From: "Nolen Null via Groups.Io" <NNull=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 04:22:01 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rupert,

Tankage was a dry product of animal rendering.  I'm not sure about how it was transported, but seem to recall having it on the farm in either burlap or paper bags.  I suspect that transporting it ranked right up there with boxcars being assigned to hide loading.  ODORIFEROUS!!  Following link explains things better than I can:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(animal_products)

As I recall there was rendering plant at one time at the south end of the Galesburg yard complex that my dad used a couple of times at Waterman(where the Graham Cutoff begins).  I accompanied him with a delivery one time and recall the smell was NOT pleasant.  Hopefully some other list members can fill in details a little better.

Nolen Null