Re: [CBQ] CB&Q derails

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q derails
From: "jpslhedgpeth via Groups.Io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 13:37:06 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
All I ever saw..or "threw" in my "working years"...56 57 58 were yellow...I don't recall seeing any orange ones...John..maybe that varied with the "territory"

Just as a little side note..Some were locked..maybe that was just the ones that "protected" the main line.  I don't know what the rules or the "convention" was regarding locking..Maybe someone would like to comment on that feature.

This topic reminded me...as my late wife used to say that "everything" did...about the matter of "Point locks"  The territory between Lincoln-NE and Ravenna was ABS and train order territory and IIRC all those main line switches had point locks..operated with a "foot treadle"..I'm  not sure whether all of them were "locked" with a padlock or if you just had to "step on " the treadle to release the lock.  As a friendly reminder those switches equipped with said "point locks" had a yellow stripe around the base of he switch stand to "remind one"...Sometimes if you weren't paying attention and forgot to step on the lock ;pedal you received a brief sharp pain in your "gut" as a reminder when you lifted the lever and tried to "yank" it around.

Also I do remember that some of the clearance points were denoted by a yellow mark on the rail.

Pete