[CBQ] FW: Silver Splendor (ex-CB&Q Silver Buckle) will move via Amtrak T

To: <CBQ@groups.io>, <BRHSList@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] FW: Silver Splendor (ex-CB&Q Silver Buckle) will move via Amtrak Train 4
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 14:48:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
From: Colorado Zephyr <cozephyr@comcast.net>
To: "CW at Locohntr@aol.com" <Locohntr@aol.com>
Date: November 16, 2018 at 5:02 AM

Forwarding info-A day has come that I never anticipated.  Due to the the highly restrictive environment that Amtrak has imposed upon us private car owners, along with painfully high prices to store and operate, my family and I have decided to sell the pride of our last 21 years, the  Silver Splendor.   The new owners are Dave and Rhonda Swirk who run the Conway Scenic Railroad in North Conway, NH.  My wife, Heidi, and I, along with our two sons, have had the pleasure of visiting there twice in recent years during our visits with relatives in Boston.  The lovely line in the White Mountains will now be the permanent home for the former Burlington Vista-Dome, originally known as  Silver Buckle.   It's a fine place with people who deeply care about vintage rail equipment and the  Splendor  will be well taken care of.  We would like to sincerely thank all of you who have ridden and chased our car, along with those who have expressed their interest in its history.

Heidi, Martin, James and myself will be forever grateful for having lived the dream of rebuilding this beautiful piece of passenger rail history and for the privilege of being able to share it with all of you.  We wish Dave and Rhonda all the best as the new caretakers of the finest that the Budd Company had to offer.

The car will depart L.A. for the final time this Saturday on Amtrak train #4, arriving CHI on the afternoon of the 19th.  On the night of the 20th, we depart CHI on train #48 with Albany, NY as our destination the following day.  The car will be taken off at ALB and moved in freight service to Hazens, NH, the connection to Conway Scenic.  Brian Solomon of Trains Magazine will be aboard to document the voyage and do a few interviews with the former owners and the new ones.  Don't be surprised to see an article about the journey in a future edition of Trains.  As always, photos and videos of our move would be appreciated.

Thank you all deeply.  The memories will last a lifetime!

-John, Heidi, Martin and James Caestecker

PV Silver Splendor was at Denver Union Station, Denver, CO, 23 April 2015.

PV Silver Splendor at Denver Union Station 23 April 2015.  Car was based at Los Angeles, CA.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56219) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic