[CBQ] 6310 On Circus Train

To: cbq@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] 6310 On Circus Train
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:49:29 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
October 11, 2018

Group - This past Monday and Tuesday evenings, Public Broadcasting put on Ken Burn's documentary on circus history from P.T. Barnum up to Ringling Brothers North and the dropping of the last big top in the mid-1950s.  About two thirds of the way through the second episode on Tuesday evening was brief segment showing a Ringling Brothers North circus train.  It had to been originally taken on 16mm color film as it was as sharp and crisp as you could ask for. What immediately caught my eye was a faded red Q wood way car being pushed ahead of the locomotive that was coupled to a series of flat cars with gaily painted circus wagons tied down on them. And lo and behold, the freshly painted (or so it appeared) locomotive was Class M-4-A No. 6310. I couldn't get over it..... There was no indication as to date or location and since the train filled the screen, you couldn't see any landmarks that might give you an idea of where the circus was being held or what the time frame might've been.  Since the way car was leading, perhaps, the 6310 had first uncoupled and ran around the circus train to tie on to the way car as it was going to then back the train in on whatever team track had been set aside for the train. From the color film and that most M-4-A's had returned to Lines East by 1950 to work out the remainder of their services lives between Galesburg-Centralia-Beardstown, maybe the circus train was in southern Illinois. That short film clip sure made my Tuesday evening! Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56001) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic