[CBQ] Boeing Cars

To: CBQ Group <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] Boeing Cars
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 02:36:32 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
From an operation stand point the cars were moved as a WIDE LOAD.  As such they had many restrictions.  When first started the route was Wichita to KC then over the KC cut off to Brookfield, Quincy and Galesburg.   Then up the Pea-Vine Galesburg to Savanna and along the Mississippi to St. Croix. .
When ever one of the cars was released the High-Wide Bureau in St. Paul would send out a High-Wide Message to the Dispatcher's office. These were kept in a file in the Chief Dispatcher's office and the yard office would call up and tell the Chief what train it was on and they would look up the file and put it on the dispatcher's desk along with the RESTRICTIONS along the route.  IT use to be along the Mississippi River there were narrow shelves so the track centers were narrow and there fore could not meet or pass wide loads.  Northtown Yard in the Twin Cities was bad about not letting any one know about wide loads.  I was once on at road trip on a south bound train and we found out we had wide loads when making a setout at East Winona.    Course just as with the narrow track centers on the Savanna to St. Croix there were also spots where there were and or use to be Center-Sidings where wide loads could meet.   It was up to the Trains Dispatcher to watch out for and meet the trains with wide loads by using orders or messages.   Even the empty cars with the blocking for the parts were wide so Wide Loads in both Directions.
Retired DS  in the hills of SC
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#55972) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic