Re: [CBQ] 14th Street DZ, EB and NCL Lineup

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 14th Street DZ, EB and NCL Lineup
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 15:57:19 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
July 29, 2018

Dave - Further to Burlington Bulletin 55 on the "new" Denver Zephyr, there is a factual error on page 94 in the Sidebar section entitled Switching 14th Street.

My father's first name was Marvin, NOT Martin.  Plus, my father NEVER would've been identified in official railroad correspondence as Marvin L. Zadnichek, it would've ALWAYS been M.L. Zadnichek.  Same for Sam Carbone, it would've been S. (I think his middle initial was "L" or "J") Carbone.  Perhaps, someone can check a 1961 Chicago Division Employee Timetable for Sam's middle initial.  I also think Mr. Carbone was a train master in 1961, not an assistant superintendent, but my memory is foggy on that point and I may be mistaken. An Employees Timetable would set us straight on that point., too. Nonetheless, an interesting sidebar on how switching 14th Street was done, often under trying conditions such as heavy snow during the winter.

Sam and his wife Mary were good friends of my dad and mom.  They were occasionally guests in our home for Sunday get-togethers.  As I remember all these years later, Sam and Mary were both very Italian and small in stature, but about the nicest couple you'd ever want to meet. They were always GREAT to me.....

Still going back over and rereading sections of BB 55. Enjoying it immensely. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL