Re: [CBQ] Grip

To: qutlx1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Grip
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:30:11 -0400
Cc: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
April 23, 2018

Leo - Thanks! You're always a fountain....or should I say stand pipe.....of CB&Q operating department knowledge. Best Regards - Louis

In a message dated 4/22/2018 8:45:42 PM Central Standard Time, qutlx1@aol.com writes:

Jon, way to easy. !

J.R. Simpkins was an Aurora div. Condr. He was also the local chairman for the brakeman's portion of the lodge. He was in the "grievers" position for many years and was very highly respected by union members and management.  See his sketch of Downers Grove yard as of 1948 in BRHS Zephyr 59.

The item was most likely his passenger service briefcase for forms,etc. I'm guessing the lead weighted items were used to weight paper messages thrown off at depots or towers. We later used the lead straps from torpedos for the same purpose.

I've CC'd the chat groups as member folks on those groups might enjoy learning a bit about "how we used to get it done" and "it wasn't in the timecard".

By the way the later will be the title of a panel discussion by retired CB&Q employees at the 2019 BRHS Spring Meet at Lyons farm Village between Oswego and Yorkville, IL next year. We will be focusing on how things really got accomplished and some true incidents that took place in freight and yard service on the Aurora Division of the Q.

Ps- this was all started by a question from Jon on an item on eBay.

Leo Phillipp