Re: [CBQ] Water Stops in 1906

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Water Stops in 1906
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:44:52 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

The author should be cautioned that in 1906 the railroad would have referred to the yard as “Hawthorne” and not Cicero.  I don’t know when “Morton Park” came into use or if that was narrowly the name for the engine terminal.   Clyde was likely later and Cicero after the Hawthorne station was renamed.

Haven’t tried to establish the time line of names yet.

Has the author asked about locomotive types, classes and names?   Should also be cautioned to use “waycar” instead of “caboose”.   Truss rod cars would still be common so hobos could  ride there but more likely inside box cars or in empty open cars to hide from the railroad police.   Air Brakes would have eliminated brakemen crawling over cars to set the brakes by 1906.

I imagine that the suburban water columns would have not been needed and Aurora would be the first place to get water for a freight unless they had work at Eola and it was more convenient to get water there….not sure water was set up there for the main what with the coal chute over the main and water columns on the east end of the Aurora Roundhouse complex being so close.

Charlie Vlk