Re: [CBQ] List of turntables

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] List of turntables
From: "STEVEN HOLDING sholding@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:20:05 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1504791009; bh=ynyaxliSLam5LCQFXnrXQ5eEcEUFdTeho7Bra6MDXBk=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Ay9Wh00yRDnsmmjvrMUkWSUPFP5VapLN0VcypMYMXV7D4+3s3QYh6woPZIcWxloy53FGvxBXpsWAvUgGW5YxThc+PP3xPQ01dPVM0/ycGfTCZPN44TlxOw4aLFs3itKB1LKN4LelcQgXwgr4onDtaV5fH53wQZ60oMA2vYYquOQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Streator had a turn table and rounchouse at one time and am not sure when taken out.  It does show on Sanborn maps but often these need to be field checked as they are fire insurance maps and railroads were most often self insured so items do not show or are incorrect
My list in the file section shows La Salle with a 75 footer installed in 1919 recycled from Mendota after a new one was put in there in 1918(85 footer)
From my research (reading papers 1890-1935)  There never was a roundhouse in Ottawa only the engine house that is there now(or was??) a square two stall house.
As steam go bigger on the main lines so to did the turntables need to get bigger with the small ones recycled often to branch lines.  Even still often the tables could not handle all the engines
Example:  Just because Buda shows a turntable in the sign column of the timetable (B.T.W) on the chart the table was only good for F1 with full tender and K2 with empty tender IF you had a O, S, or M locomotive you would have to use Wye (Y) at Zearing or run backwards (Page 17 in Consolidated Code 1967)
Steve in SC