[CBQ] 1946 Strike

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 1946 Strike
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 21:06:36 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Just finished reading a very interesting file concerning the 1946 strike. In
May of that year the brotherhoods struck for better wages,etc. while the vast
majority of members
Remained off the property some went to work. Striking members documented every
cAse of an individual working during the strike and each was brought up on
formal charges by the lodge. A member swore out a statement of when and where
the alleged
"Scab" work was performed and a 5 member panel held a formal hearing at which
the accused could answer the charges and explain why he should not be expelled
from the lodge. In many cases the accused were found guilty and expelled from
membership per
Instruction and guidelines issued by the Cleveland international office.

The case that really got my attention was that of C.J. Miller, yes the same
C.J. Miller who in the 1960s was Aurora Division Supt. ! He was a trainmaster
at Galesburg at this time and in accordance with all agreements was still a
member of Lodge 6 at Aurora with seniority still being carried.

On May 25th he worked as flagman on no.1 from Galesburg to Aurora where F.J.
Cortright relieved him for the balance of trip to Chicago. There is a signed
document in the file by the 5 member lodge panel finding him  not guilty of
scab work. Per instructions from the Cleveland union office, if a lodge member
who was holding official capacity with the company performed any train or
engine service work during the strike
That individual was guilty of activity unbecoming a member and should be
expelled.
Clearly C.J. Performed train service. However Cortright in his statement noted
that he relieved C.J. After the strike was over on the 25th. The file doesn't
detail why C.J. Was found not guilty but I will guess that when he got on at
Galesburg the strike had been called off and therefore he was not scabbing.

Besides the above what's interesting is previously I was under the impression
that C.J. Had not,left union ranks until the 1960s. I have found numerous
documents with him serving as lodge secretary and acting local chairman. I'm
beginning to think he served a
Period of time as an official. Returned to the ranks and then again went into
mgmt. in the
1960s.

Why I am so interested in C.J. ? Well when I was working in the 70s guys
stilled talked about when he was Supt and how you didn't try and B.S. him as
he'd been there and done that for every possible scenario on the division.

One more reason for me to talk to Sweet Corn and others.

I'm just totally amazed what I find in these files.

Leo

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com