[CBQ] Re: SUNA/BRT/UTU on the Q ?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SUNA/BRT/UTU on the Q ?
From: "amtrak347@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 03:19:44 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo -

1962 was the last year that the Burlington on Aurora Division, hired separate trainmen for road service (brakemen) and yard service (switchmen) and had separate seniority rosters.  BRT held the contract for the brakemen and SUNA (Switchmens Union of North America) held the contract for switchmen.  Of course after 1962, all new trainmen hired on Aurora Division had dual (road/yard) seniority and that new hire had a choice as to which union he would join (usually after their 90 day "trial period").  I would suspect the union with the cheapest dues would be the choice of the newby.  This went on for roughly 6+ years until the United
Transportation Union was created in 1969.  Since your grandfather spent 37/38 years in yard service, I will assume that SUNA held the switchman's contract the majority of the time he worked and that's who he maintained membership with, until he retired.  Upon his passing in 1964, his union, SUNA, sent their memorial arrangement.  Your union files should have the dates other locations such as Rockford, Ottawa/Streator and Mendota switchmen gave up their yard-only rights and became "trainmen" which I believe occurred in the 1950s.

Bob

Posted by: amtrak347@aol.com